Why is Israel Suspicious of the United Nations?
Summary ... Israel has continually suffered harassment and persecution from the United Nations from the very beginning. It's no wonder that Israel is suspicious of anything the UN does.
- Before 1990, Security Council passed 175 resolutions, 97 were directed against Israel (55% of all resolutions).
- Before 1990, UN General Assembly voted on 690 resolutions, 429 were directed against Israel (62% of all resolutions).
- The UN was silent when Jordanians destroyed 58 Synagogues in Jerusalem.
- The UN was silent while the Jordanians systematically desecrated the ancient Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives.
- The UN was silent while the Jordanians enforced an apartheid-like policy of preventing Jews from visiting the Temple Mount and the Western Wall.
- The UN was silent while for 18 months Israel was terrorised by indiscriminate suicide bombing campaign unleashed by the PA/PLO leadership [which is financially supported by the Quartet (US, UN, EU, Russia)].
- Israel is the only member of the UN that is not permitted membership on the Security Council.
- Israel is the only country excluded from the U.N.'s regional group system. Since Israel does not belong to any group, it is the only country of 190 member states that is not eligible to serve on the numerous U.N. commissions.
- In recent years, the U.N. Commission on Human Rights has annually passed five resolutions condemning Israel. This year, they passed seven. By contrast, each of the following countries/regions has been the subject of only one resolution: Afghanistan, Burundi, Congo, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Myanmar, Russia/Chechnya, Sierra Leone, Southeast Europe and Sudan.
- November 29 is the United Nations Day of International Solidarity with the Arab People. No other group or nation has a U.N. Day of Solidarity.
- Israel is the only state to which a special investigator with "an open-ended mandate to inspect its human rights record" is assigned by the U.N.
- It is the only state targeted by two special committees and special units of the U.N. Secretariat ostensibly devoted to the Arabs but in reality dedicated to Israel-bashing worldwide, costing millions of dollars a year.
- UNIFIL, the U.N. force stationed on the Israel-Lebanon border, hid a videotape of Israeli soldiers being abducted by Hizb'Allah in October 2000. After finally admitting to having the tape, the U.N. would only show an edited version (in which Hizb'Allah faces were hidden) to the Israeli government.
- UNESCO, in Paris, began passing resolutions about protection of Jerusalem holy sites and access for Muslims in 1968. No resolutions about protection or Jewish access were passed from 1946 to 1967 when Jordan controlled Jerusalem and barred Jews from entering.
[ Steven Shamrak | Published: December 5, 2005 ]